Updating oak dining table: In this article I explain how to update an Oak Table dining table, Monks bench and more to give it a new lease of life.
Here I explain the process for preparation through to completion of some hand painted mahogany bedroom furniture in Formby. There was an added twist to this job for me.
I was contacted towards the end of last year about painting some bedroom furniture.
Painting Peterhead Granite: Peterhead granite using paint and sea sponge
Painting Granite Effects: Jason Walker, Specialist Painter in Lancashire writes regular tips for the Lancashire Magazine, and here I explain how to achieve Peterhead granite look with paint and sea sponges
Hand painted Oak kitchen: As a Kitchen and Furniture painting specialist JS Decor cover Lancashire and Cheshire. I’ve written here how we go about transforming a plain Oak Kitchen into something lighter and more modern.
Installing Phillip Jeffries: This article is about JS Decor specialist decorators for Lancashire, Cheshire and NW, I explain how to install Phillip Jeffries Geology. This is a specialist wallcovering and 3 supposed “experts” had already been asked by the client to apply it to 2 alcoves. 3 refused.
Restoring pine wall units: This is how to restore a pine wall unit with a painted finish because it didn’t look at home in a newly decorated kitchen, so I updated it with a painted finish.
Creating shabby chic furniture: To create that shabby chic furniture look: first you need a piece of furniture, for this look I used a small wall mounted wooden cabinet.
Restoring tired old oak: Restoring a tired old oak table was not easy in this sorry state, scratched legs, scratched top and was in desperate need of a makeover. It was a lovely piece of furniture and with a top that folded out to double its eating area. Also it was made of solid oak so it seemed a shame to just rub it down and re-stain it again.
Creating Lapis Luzuli: This is how to create a Lapis Luzuli effect with paint.
- First paint your chosen piece in a primer and allow to dry. Once it has dried give it 2 coats of white soft sheen emulsion and again allow to dry.
- Next we get some artist acrylics in the colours ultramarine blue and a raw umber which again can be bought from a good art shop. We mix these together with a few drops of water. Then you need to cover the whole surface, to do this dab the mixture on to the box fidgeting the brush as you go, to give a patchy finish.
- Next take some crumpled newspaper and dab randomly all over, to break up the colour leaving a dappled surface.
- Then you need to soften the effect. This is done with a soft brush by gently feathering the finish to soften the sharp edges of the glaze.
- Then with a little gold powder which you can get from a good art shop spatter on to the surface, be careful not to use to much, less is more.
- Allow to dry then apply a spray clear satin varnish to protect it and give its Lapis Luzuli luste.
- This is how to create Lapis Luzuli with Paint.
Thanks for taking the time to read this how to. If you would like to get in touch about a project you might want looking at ie kitchen paint or any specialist paint finishes you can reach me via firstname.lastname@example.org. i also write a monthly column for the Lancashire magazine where you can find hints and tips there.